Miss Z and I made homemade glue this weekend. It was really fun. By the way, you will notice that Miss Z is wearing glasses. These are not necessary to help her see, but she wears them most of the time when she is at home because you need glasses when you are doing important or smart things (according to her).
This is what the glue looks like when it is done.
1 cup boiling water
3 tablespoons white flour
4 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Put boiling water in a pot.
2. Mix flour and cold water well. Use a whisk to get rid of any clumps.
3. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the hot water, mixing the whole time.
4. Turn on fire under the pot and heat until mixture thickens. Mix constantly. This should take only a minute or two. (When I did this part, I never had to turn on the burner again. It thickened up without additional heat)
5. Once thick, turn off fire and mix in sugar.
6. Transfer to a container for storage, and then put in the refrigerator.
7. Once cool, use as you would any other glue.
Here is how the kiddies used some of the glue:It is Noah's ark. With a pirate flag. Perhaps not doctrinally correct, but hey, at least they are pretending Bible stuff. :)